We are pleased to announce that residents can now recycle eligible drinking containers at multiple locations across Merri-bek and receive a 10-cent refund for each container!
One of the ways you can participate in the Container Deposit Scheme (CDS) is by recycling drink containers through self-service drop-off points called reverse vending machines. Other ways you can recycle containers is at over-the-counter drop-off locations and automated drop-off depots.
Residents can find their nearest refund point using the interactive map on the CDS Victoria website.
The Victorian Government has partnered with 3 zone operators who deliver the refund points across Victoria. Our zone operators, TOMRA Cleanaway, install and manage the refund points, manage refunds to customers and donation partners, and ensure the proper recycling of containers.
In October 2023, we invited community feedback on 2 locations for “reverse vending machines” on Council land and are working hard to identify additional locations. The current locations are:
- 797 Sydney Road, Brunswick
- Domain Street, Hadfield
What is the Container Deposit Scheme?
The CDS is a Victorian Government initiative that rewards Victorians with a 10-cent refund for every eligible drinking container they recycle at designated refund points. It is a new and easy way to do your bit for the environment and earn some extra money while doing it.
How does the Container Deposit Scheme work?
- You purchase a drink.
- You return your empty drink container to a refund point. 600 refund points are planned across Victoria.
- You receive a 10-cent refund for every eligible container you return. You can choose to keep the funds or donate to a participating charity, community group, environmental group, educational organisation or sports group.
- Your returned container is given a new lease on life. The material is recycled and remanufactured into a new product, saving it from landfill or littering the environment. Preserves it at food grade quality plastic before enters co-mingling, therefore optimising recycling!
What are the benefits of the Container Deposit Scheme?
The introduction of this scheme will provide many benefits to the community, environment and economy including:
- Increase recycling of drink cans, bottles and cartons
- Fundraising opportunities for community groups
- Less litter – experience shows a CDS can cut litter by up to half
- Lowers clean-up costs for councils and makes producers more responsible for their products
- Complements 4-bin service changes – another way for our residents to recycle, even when they’re away from home
- Potential for increase in trade for businesses located near container collection points
- Helps us achieve our Zero Waste to landfill by 2030 goal
What drink containers are eligible?
- Soft drink cans and bottles
- Flavoured milk containers
- Non-concentrated fruit or vegetable juice containers
- Beer cans and bottles
- Mixed spirits
What drink containers are exempt?
- Glass wine and spirit bottles
- Juice bottles over 1 litre
- Cordial bottles
- Milk (other than flavoured)
- Concentrated fruit or vegetable juice
We are excited to be working in partnership with the Victorian Government on this project and hope to introduce more refund points across Merri-bek soon!
To learn more about the Victorian Government’s Container Deposit Scheme, visit the CDS website.
Follow our Conversations Merri-bek website for updates on additional reverse vending machines on Council land.