Skip to content


  • 'Child' means anyone under 18. The content on the following pages makes reference to child abuse, including sexual abuse, which some readers may find confronting. Support is available from Kids Helpline, Lifeline and Beyond Blue.

Information for Children and Young People

You have rights. It’s always ok to speak up if you are being hurt or complain if you are unhappy with how you are being treated. In Victoria we have Child Safe Standards to keep you safe.

At Council this means:

  • you can expect to be safe and to feel safe, at all our services, programs, activities and events. 
  • you can expect that adults that work here know how to keep you safe.
  • you can tell an adult here if you don’t feel safe and they must help you.
  • if you make a complaint we will listen, take it seriously and respond quickly.

Making a complaint about Council

You can make a complaint about:

  • one of our services, programs, activities or events
  • the way one of our staff has treated you

  • the way another person has treated you at one of our services, programs, activities, or events. This could be a child, young person or an adult

  • the way we have handled a problem

This poster (PDF 499kb) tells you the different ways you can make a complaint to us. It includes information in العربية (Arabic), বাংলা (Bengali), नेपाली (Nepali), پښتو (Pashto), Türkçe (Turkish) and اردو (Urdu).

This flyer (PDF 274kb) tells you about your rights and the complaints process. It tells you how we will respond. This information is also available in:

There is more information on this part of our website. You can also send your complaint from there. 

Other complaints or issues

It’s always OK to speak up and ask for help. You should always feel safe. Other organisations (for example, schools, clubs, businesses) will have different ways to speak up.  You can approach them  and ask them how you can make a complaint to them.  This video will give you some tips.

Some examples of things that might be bothering that you might want to speak up about:

  • you don’t feel safe
  • someone is hurting you
  • you feel like adults aren’t listening to you
  • you have a problem, but don’t want to talk to someone you know about it
  • you need help with something and don’t know who to ask

There are lots of other places that can also help you; here are a few.

  • Kids Helpline is a free 24/7, confidential and private counselling service specifically for children and young people aged 5 to 25 years. You can speak to them:

    You can contact Kids Helpline about a wide range of issues; from everyday topics such as family, friends, school to more serious issues of child abuse, bullying, mental health issues, drug and alcohol use, homelessness and suicide.

  • Minus18 aims to change the lives of LGBTQIA+ youth in Australia. Minus18 are leading change, building social inclusion, and advocating for an Australia where all young people are safe, empowered, and surrounded by people that support them.

  • QLife provides anonymous, LGBTQIA+ peer support and referral for people wanting to talk about a range of issues including sexuality, identity, gender, bodies, feelings or relationships. QLife services are free, delivered by trained LGBTQIA+ community members. The service is for LGBTQIA+ individuals, their friends and family and health professionals.
    Services are available from 3.00pm to midnight daily either via

    • Telephone – 1800 184 527
    • Webchat
  • WOAH is a website for young people and their adult allies about family violence, why it happens, how to recognise it and how to help others experiencing it.

  • headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation providing early intervention mental health services to 12-25 years olds. They support young people with mental health, physical health (including sexual health), alcohol and other drug services, as well as work and study support. They focus on early intervention, working with young people to provide support at a crucial time in their lives.

    Create a free account to join an online support community. You will get instant 24/7 access to a range of tools and support for your mental health. Build connections in a community of like-minded young people, join group chats, create your own personalised space and get professional 1-on-1 support – all online and free.

Other support and resources

The links below have more information that might help you.