We have many kinds of property information which can be useful if you are buying or renovating a property or building in Merri-bek.
Other government and private websites let you search and apply for certificates about property zones, utilities, land titles and maps.
Visit Moreland Planning Scheme Online to get a free property report with the zones and overlays of a property.
Zones and overlays show how your land can be used and developed. Every property is zoned. A property only has one zone. A zone shows the preferred land uses in an area. The main types of zones are residential, business and industrial.
Some properties also have overlay controls. Overlay controls protect things like heritage or show areas that need special care, like areas that may flood.
Check the zone or overlay if you plan to buy a house or unit, develop land or renovate your property.
Planning property enquiry
A planning property enquiry provides you written advice from us about the planning controls that apply to a particular property.
We encourage prospective buyers of a property or business to obtain written advice on the planning approvals that have been obtained for land prior to buying a property or existing business.
- Lodge a planning property enquiry single house online
- Lodge a planning property enquiry apartments/units, commercial, industrial online
- Lodge by offline form (DOC 152Kb)
Give you information such as:
- all current valuations on the property including Site Value, Capital Improved Value and the Net Annual Value
- rates including arrears and interest, and
- property debts.
Apply for a Land Information Certificate online, by form, or through other websites (see the section below, 'Title search, land and property search certificates').
Property Information Certificates tell you the following information about a property:
- Property Information Certificate (Part 1) Building permits issued in the last 10 years and any outstanding building notices or orders.
- Property Information Certificate (Part 2) Whether the property is flood prone, termite prone or in an alpine area.
- Property Information Certificate (Part 3) Building permits issued in the last 10 years and the date and type of inspection carried out for a building permit.
- Property Information Certificate (Part 1 and 2) Building permits issued in the last 10 years, any outstanding building notices or orders, and whether the property is flood prone, termite prone or in an alpine area.
- Property Information Certificate (Part 1 and 3) Building permits issued in the last 10 years, any outstanding building notices or orders, and the date and type of inspection carried out for a building permit.
Apply for a Property Information Certificate online, by form, or through other websites (see the section below, 'Title search, land and property search certificates').
Old building permits, building plans and documents
Council holds copies of any previous building permits, building plans and documents. You can request copies of previous building permits, building plans and documents for your residence or business within Merri-bek. This can be useful if you are doing renovations.
You must be the current owner of the property or have the current owner's written and signed consent to obtain copies of any building permits, plans or documents relating to that property.
A search fee applies for this application. The fee will not be refunded if the requested building permits, building plans and documents cannot be located. For further information on applicable search fee, see building related fees.
Please note: This type of application only relates to obtaining copies of building permits, building plans and documents, or occupancy permits/certificates of final inspection. For old planning permits and endorsed plans, please refer below.
Old planning permits and endorsed plans
We recommend you first check online to see if information is available on the our website. To view current planning applications and planning decisions see status of planning applications.
If the information you're seeking is not available online, to request to view the permits and endorsed plans of old planning permits, complete the following form:
- Request to View Planning Permits and Endorsed Plans form and brochure (PDF 174Kb)
- Request to View Planning Permits and Endorsed Plans form and brochure (DOC 2Mb)
Order these online at the:
Get a planning certificate through Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure.
Planning certificates are official documents mainly used to satisfy the requirements of the Sale of Land Act 1962, under which the vendor of a property is required to provide details of the land zoning and any overlay controls or exhibited proposed amendments to the planning scheme.
Planning certificates do not show the locations of zone boundaries and additional site specific controls that may apply.
Other property reports
The Victorian Department of Land has property reports:
- Free basic property report includes zone summary, utilities, council property number.
- Detailed property report includes the above information, as well as dimensions and a diagram.
- Free planning property report includes planing zones and overlays.
- Free local government report includes population projections, median values of property sales, industries and jobs, income distribution, and suburb and town profile and datasheet.
View and print online maps from Victorian Department of Land. You can zoom to an individual property or see a street or area. The map can show you:
- boundary lines between properties
- property numbers
- major residential redevelopment sites
- aerial photography
- industrial land
- zones for land use
- overlays, for example heritage overlay and floodway overlay, and
- rivers, streams and bodies of water.