Skip to content

Claims reporting

Types of claims

Injury on Council property or property damage

If you would like to report an injury sustained on Council property or damage to your property, you can follow the Claims reporting process below to make a report.

For all other requests or enquiries, you can report the issue on our eServices website.

Waste truck property damage claims

Any claims related to waste collection are managed by Citywide if they take place south of Bell Street. This could include damage to property caused by a waste collection truck. If you would like to make a claim like this you can contact us using the details on our Contact us page.

Claims reporting process

1. Report an incident

The first step of the claims reporting process is to contact us on 9240 1111 if the issue which caused the injury or property damage is dangerous or requires repair. You can also report the incident on our eServices website.

2. Complete our Request for compensation form

The next step is to complete our Request for compensation claim form. This form should only be used if you intend to make a claim against Council.

You can download the Request for compensation form (PDF) so that you can fill the form out.

3. Submit documents and photographs

As part of your Request for compensation form, you need to include all supporting documents and photographs to be considered with your claim. It is up to you to provide us with the evidence that proves your allegation.

Depending on the incident in question, relevant documents may include:

  • photos
  • repair quotes
  • invoices
  • receipts
  • medical or engineers’ reports

If you believe a Council tree has caused damage to your drain, you will need to supply:

  • a plumber's report outlining the exact location and extent of the damage
  • ownership details for the damaged pipe
  • the position of the Council tree and other vegetation in relation to the area of blockage
  • condition and type of pipe (earthenware or pvc)
  • evidence that shows Council's tree has contributed to the blockage
  • photographic evidence to support the allegation

4. Return the Request for compensation form

Once you have completed the Request for Compensation form you will need to provide the completed form to us by:

  • emailing the form to
  • posting the form to the Risk, Resilience & Insurance Officer at Merri-bek City Council, Locked Bag 10, Merri-bek 3058
  • providing us with the completed form at one of our Customer Service Centres. You can find the details for these centers on our Contact us page.

5. Claim assessment 

Once you have given us your completed Request for compensation form and your evidence, these documents will be forwarded to our claims management provider, Echelon Claims Services, who will investigate and assess the claim. Echelon Claims Services will contact you directly with the outcome of the claim.

How long does the process take?

Once you have submitted your form and evidence the process can take 6 to 8 weeks depending on the nature and complexity of the claim. This process can also take longer if there are delays in obtaining information or other factors beyond our control. Echelon Claims Services will contact you directly with the outcome of the claim.

When it is unlikely that Council will pay compensation

Please note that it is unlikely Council will pay compensation in the following circumstances:

  • You are not able to establish the cause of the damage.
  • The damage was caused by or resulting from a weather event.
  • When Council has complied with its Road Management Plan (DOC) which sets out the standards by which it maintains its roads and footpaths.
  • When the incident occurs on roads and footpaths which are not on Council’s Road Register which you can see on our Roads and footpaths page. For example, arterial roads and private access roads.
  • If the motor vehicle damage is below $1,460 (the minimum threshold amount set down by section 110 of the 'Road Management Act 2004').
  • If property damage was caused by tree roots when Council was not previously aware of the problem.
  • If the damage was caused by a contractor acting on behalf of Council, e.g. roadworks, parks maintenance. Such claims will be referred to the relevant contractor to respond directly.
  • If the incident relates to the condition of pit lids or other infrastructure belonging to utility companies, e.g. Telstra, Optus, NBN, water, power, and gas companies. Refer to the relevant utility company website for information on how to make a claim.
  • When the asset and the damage is the responsibility of the property owner. There are examples of when this would be the case on our Stormwater drains and sewerage page.