Expressions of interest are now open for the 2023 Merri-bek Democracy Lab!
Merri-bek Democracy Lab is a transformative 6-week program designed to equip individuals with the skills, knowledge, and connections necessary to engage in community life at Merri-bek.
The Lab supports people with ideas for community-led initiatives or who want to build connections in Merri-bek. We especially encourage people who are new to community-led work.
Testimonials from past participants
“My passion for being active in my community has been ignited and confirmed! I can’t wait to get out and about, thinking of ways to bring my neighbours together”
"The program was very informative, it provided good ways and tools to learn about community practices. I am very satisfied with the final outcomes, excellent initiative." Participant
Participation in the Lab is FREE and open to anyone who lives, works or studies in Merri-bek.
The program topics include:
- How to develop community projects or activities and engage participants
- Identifying stakeholders and developing partnerships
- Understanding decision-making at Council and how to become involved in it
- Different ways to advocate for important community issues
Session dates and times:
Program sessions will be held ONLINE every Tuesday evening.
- Tuesday, 22 August – online, 6.30pm - 8pm
- Tuesday, 29 August – online, 6.30pm - 8pm
- Tuesday, 5 September – online, 6.30pm - 8pm
- Tuesday, 12 September – online, 6.30pm - 8pm
- Tuesday, 19 September – online, 6.30pm - 8pm
- Tuesday, 26 September (Break)
- Tuesday, 3 October - In-person, 6.30pm - 8pm
Register your interest by filling in a short form that asks you to tell us a little about yourself and your interests.
Applications close on Monday 7 August, 2023
The Lab is a partnership project between Merri-bek City Council and The Public Value Studio as part of Merri-bek's Social Cohesion Plan initiatives.