Business Approvals Merri-bek

Most new, established or growing businesses need a permit to operate - some businesses may need more than one permit. The information on this page will help you to determine the type of permit you may need.

Our Business Approvals Merri-bek will guide and assist you through the business permits and approvals process from the beginning to the end. 

The first step of the process is to complete the online questionnaire that identifies all the permits and approvals required for your business. ***If necessary, a permit check-in meeting will be arranged to discuss your application requirements. You will not have to book a separate pre-application meeting with Planning.



What happens next?

We will contact you to confirm we have received your questionnaire within two business days and advise if a permit check-in meeting will be booked for you.

Learn more about managing the permit and planning process by reading our Moreland businesses case studies.

If you want to start a business and you need help, contact our Business Support Hotline on 8311 4131 or email Business Merri-bek

What types of permits could my business need?

Area of Council Further information


Building permits are required for any alterations, demolitions, new buildings or extensions, to ensure that works meet structural, fire, safety and disability access requirements.

Building permits

It is recommended that you seek advice from a private Building Surveyor.  At this stage, Council is unable to process any Building permit applications. 

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) maintains a list of all registered Building Surveyors in the State.  You can access the list here and search for a building surveyor by name, type of work, suburb, postcode or any combination of the above.





Planning permits may be required for the type of business you are running or for things like signage, changes to the exterior of the building or selling liquor. Some applications may qualify for the Commercial Priority Process.



Environmental Health

Health registration is required for food and health related businesses to ensure that all health requirements and standards are met.

Local Laws

Local Laws permits apply to the place outdoor furniture, product displays and A-frame signs on the footpath.

Local Laws also regulate car parking across the City, including the turnover of vital customer car parking, and business, residential and disabled persons parking permits.

Commercial waste services

Garbage and recycling collection services are available for non-residential properties, including a standard commercial service and a Commercial Plus service.