Choosing a location

Moreland’s 12 vibrant suburbs span 50 square kilometres and are home to more than 160,000 people. The municipality has four main industries - health care and social assistance, retail, education and training, and manufacturing.

Brunswick, Coburg and Glenroy are our major Activity Centres – busy focal points for our community that have been identified by both the State Government and Council as important and desirable for urban liveability, sustainability and growth. Find out more about Moreland's Activity Centres.

Finding a premises

The Business Merri-bek team can provide a wealth of information and contacts to assist you to find a commercial property. If you source a suitable property to lease that appears to meet your business needs, be sure to contact Business Merri-bek before signing a lease. There may be limitations to what the property can be used for and it's crucial to find this out right at the beginning.

The following resources may assist with your commercial property search:

Planning, permits and regulations

Obtaining the right approvals from Council is essential to the success of any business, whether you’re starting a business, expanding or relocating a business, or changing the nature of your business activities.

We encourage you to discuss your plans with a Business Approvals Merri-bek (BAM) officer to ensure that you identify all the permits and approvals required for your business. Further information about BAM available here.

Phone: 9240 2392
Email a BAM officer.

Who to talk to for more information

We can help guide you through Council's processes and assist with your business venture.

But first, let’s work out who you need to to talk to.

Area of Council Further information


Building deals with alterations, demolitions, new buildings or extensions, to ensure that your business meets fire, safety and structural standards.


Commercial Priority

Liquor licences



If you want to establish a new business or expand an existing business in Merri-bek, you may need a planning permit. Some applications may qualify for the Commercial Priority Process.

Environmental Health

Environmental Health regulates the registration of food and health-related businesses to ensure that all health requirements and standards are met. 

Local Laws

Local Laws regulates and issues permits relating to the placement of outdoor furniture, product displays and A-frame footpath signage.

The unit also assists in regulating car parking across the City, including ensuring turnover of vital customer car parking, and business, residential and disabled persons parking permits.

Commercial waste services

Council offers garbage and recycling collection services for non-residential properties, including a standard commercial service and a Commercial Plus service.


Contact us

Maria Rico

Commercial and Industrial Investment Facilitation

Maria acts as first point of contact to advance key commercial and industrial investment projects. Maria supports growing businesses to remain in Merri-bek, and new investment projects that grow local jobs.

Phone: 9240 2392
Email Maria Rico